Sunday, December 24, 2006

lost in translation

the past week has been a bugger... well sort of.. I went out too much, and as a result, I slept outside of our house for the first time since I was 9 yrs. old. hahaha!!! bad rc, baaaaaad rc!

so there, the result of going out which started in paskuhan sa ust that ended up somewhere between the sofa in lee's condo to the alabang escapade which had me spending the whole night outside the house was a bummer. but then again, it made sense to me. i was challenging the authorities too much, that my father had to step in since my mom cannot keep me on a tight leash. i still hope for a new phone. come on my good and very loving parents! give me my sony ericsson w710i!!!!! *cross my fingers*

why are there no small Transformers robots in Festival Mall? why? why? WHY?

meanwhile, let me share you something I picked up while loitering in Powerbooks ATC...

Hidden amongst a stack of books in the shelves of the beloved bookstore is a funny little doodle by Tom Reynolds.

Its called I Hate Myself and I Want to Die: the 52 most depressing songs you've ever heard. Its a damn funny and good book. Tom Reynolds' witty banter in analyzing these 52 songs ranging from the Barry Manilow wonder "Mandy" to Celine Dion's "All By Myself" to Evanescence's "My Immortal" is sure to make you laugh out loud. My beshie and I enjoyed reading the book, and yes we did laugh a lot. It was a fun read for anyone in need of something to joke around with. But make no mistake, the songs included in the book are big ones, which dole out the best of the best in suffering, self pity and depression.

So here I am now, trying to have fun before Christmas rolls in around 12 midnight, to give you my own list of depressing songs.

Criticisms, suggestions, new ideas and violent reactions are welcome. This is a very subjective list. And no, I will not make a 52 song list because I'm too lazy for that one. For this, 10 songs will be enough.

How will I be picking the songs? Simple. Any freaking song that makes my tear glands swell up should make the list. A question may arise, but that would make it a list of sad songs right? Don't worry, I'll try my best to separate the sad from the depressing, if there was such a difference. So any input from you will be welcome. Okay lets do this:

Oh, they're not in any order. Let's just make them as we go along shall we?

10. Director's Cut - Kamikazee

Yes. Jay Contreras and the rest of the boys know how to make good depressing song. Don't let the rocking instrumentals fool you. Listen closely to the lyrics. The scenario is all too familiar. The song chronicles the feelings of someone who just got left in the air by the one he loves. Despite the effort and all, he still gets dumped. Frustration laces the song in its whole. "Lahat ng gusto mo/tamang sunod ako/nagtataka bakit biglang ayaw mo na" is one line in the song which I can relate well. (ok don't ask why)

This song is perfect for the days right after the break up. Lakas kasi manumbat nung kanta eh. hahaha!!!

Another line goes:
At kung hindi/na babalik/sana sa paggising ay wala na ang nadaramang sakit

At kung hindi/na babalik/pilit sasabihin na hindi ako nagkamali

aww so sad is the one being left by the person he truly loves. Who knew Kamikazee knows how to pull heartstrings? Or am I the only one who feels this song? hahaha!!! Moving on...

9. What If - Menaya

My goodness. Sabi ng Menaya nung nag guest sila sa Breakfast, pang JS prom daw yung kanta. Its more like for a funeral of a friend if you ask me.

This is the song of love bordering obsession. Something like, I did it all but you won't even notice kind of song. The song repeatedly asks the question what if to the subject (in this case, let us say the one you love)

The song hits those who have long been suffering in silence, unable to answer the lingering questions he/she has because either they don't have the opportunity to do so or they don't have the courage to.

A part of the song goes:
What if cry?/What if I die?/Would you care about me?/Would you ask me how I feel?

These things are questions you don't ask to anyone except, well maybe your closest friend or your significant other. What if goes out there and screams out the freaking questions bottled up inside you. So if you can't really tell somebody how you really feel, let them listen to the song. Maybe they'll get it. Maybe not.

8. Rebound - Silent Sanctuary

Ah the violin. The local version of Yellowcard, Silent Sanctuary abuses the innate ability of the violin to make people sad. I personally rank the violin first ahead of the piano as the saddest instrument ever made. Sarkie Sarangay, the songwriter of the song masterfully tells the story of a bittersweet romance. It reminds me a lot about myself. Which is well, sad. The gist of the song is a lamentation of a someone who was used by his/her love to get over someone. Kung baga panakip butas. Thus the line "Rebound mo lang pala ako", and the song's title in itself.

The first verse of the song goes:
O kay bilis naman/Magsawa ng puso mo
Ganyan ka ba talaga?/Bigla na lang naglalaho
Para bang walang nangyari/Di mo man lang sinabi

The chorus goes:
Sana'y hindi na lang/Pinilit pa
Wala ring patutunguhan
Kahit sabihin ko pang/Mahal kita

See what I mean? The song has the bitter vibe of someone being used.

Nakakainis talaga/Nagmukha tuloy akong tanga
Pinaasa mo kasi/Puso ko ngayon tuloy lumuluha
Bakit iniwan mo kong mag-isa/Ilang araw lang ay babay na

Thankfully, the song doesn't lash out. Its a smooth and easy one to listen to. It also helps that the violin arrangements are great, courtesy of Seton Alumnus Jet Ramirez, and PPO's own Kuya Chino (i call him that. go figure)

Feeling bitter because you've been used? Give this one a listen. Shout out to _____ _____! I personally dedicate this song for you!

-END OF PART ONE-

No comments: