Monday, December 01, 2008

basketball

i'm tired right now. but somehow, i feel alive.

that's how it is whenever i step-off the court after a few pick-up games. for many reasons, whenever i don't play the game i become really sluggish and well, sometimes incomplete. playing ball invigorates me, jumpstarts my body and my mind. i can't really live somewhere that does not have a court. believe me, i would go crazy if that happened.

i noticed that i talk a lot of things in my personal space, but i have not discussed a lot about how the game has affected me. the game hasn't been always good to me. since i was little when my cousins who came from the province taught me how to dribble, shoot and pass, all i ever wanted was to become good at it. basketball the game taught me how to be competitive. but being small and skinny back then, i was not really the one that i pictured myself playing the game. in short, i sucked. haha!

but luckily, i had a set of basketball crazy friends and classmates who picked me up, so there. i got a little better every year, and i now made it a point to add something to my game, no matter how little it is, from defending better to reading opponent sets and setting better screens, i work hard to make my game more complete. it also helped that competition was good, so i was able to measure myself against them. though it is still hard for me to see the kinks in my game so i rely a lot on the inputs i get from friends. so far my shot is already falling, so i don't really have to hear my teammates whining whenever i pull-up. haha! it's more of being aggressive in attacking the basket, getting rebounds and defending the opponent so that they do not get the easy shot.

so there ends my small, disconcerted, patchy effort to talk about the game. i wrote a scouting report about myself some years ago, i can't find it but i should say i have come far from being that player who could only go to his left and has a shaky shot. :D

No comments: